Remote SDR RX-Station in Reute (950m)
Remote RX only SDR Project started in Oct. 2017
In 2017, Fredy (HB9CQK) and I got in touch with Markus, HB9AZT who grant us access to his remote radio "receive" location (950m) in the Canton of Appenzell.
This location has very little QRM (man made electromagnetic noise). We had to configure our own remote receivers. We discussed our requirements and came up with the following points:
- The SDR receiver must cover all shortwave HAM bands and the RX quality must be state-of-the-art.
- Since there are several antennae available the remote system must be able to remotely switch 4 antenna ports
- We must be able to power on/off the devices remotely
- We must be able to do firmware updates remotely
- All devices must fit into a 19" rack
- All the components must be designed for 24/7 operation
- We must be able to use the LAN available at the remote site
- The system to be built shall contain its own 1GB network switch for simple integration into the LAN
- The used components must be quiet! And by quiet we do not mean free of acoustic noise, but free of HF noise
- The power consumption should be low such that no fans are needed
After 3 years using the Russian Expert Electronics SDR receiver ColibriDDC we replaced the ColibriDDC SDR with a new Airspy HF+ Discovery with a Raspberry Pi4 in order to run the Spyserver for the Radio SDR Console.
Download Project Documentation: details [4’037 KB]
Panoramic View from 950m ASL - South and Noth